Camlab produces over 100% of its own electricity needs by utilising a roof wide solar array on our 30,000sq.ft. warehouse in Cambridge. Although we still have to draw energy from the grid at night we produce over half of our own power with the balance feeding into the national grid. Heating and cooling for the offices is provided by advanced heat pump technology which produces 4-5 times more kW of heat as it consumes. Future projects will include rechargeable battery technology to further increase our own energy usage and reduce our reliance on fossil based sources.
We re-use over 50% of the cartons and packaging materials that we receive in.
Constantly looking at ways to take Camlab forward in a sustainable way is key to our management and staff. Pioneering the use of electric vehicles in 2015 we now have over 30% of our company drivers switched over to full electric vehicles. We have discouraged the use of Hybrid vehicles wherever possible as we do not feel these vehicles address the goals of reducing emissions or fossil fuel use.
We take care to minimise our waste as much as possible with a strategy of re-use wherever possible.
We also recycle paper, glass, metals, cardboard and plastics.
The following statement is an extract of our ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management Systems Policy. It is available in original form on request. Camlab are suppliers of laboratory equipment and process instrumentation. The company recognises that it can only achieve its business objectives if the operational performance of its activities, along with the products it supplies, reflects the changing environmental priorities of the Community it serves.
The company is committed to introducing and developing practicable and cost effective environmental best practices throughout the business. It is recognised that the pursuit of economic growth and a safe, healthy and hygienic environment must be closely linked and that the protection of the environment and its ecology from the company’s activities is part of the management’s responsibility. Camlab also recognises that its day to day activities impact on the environment in a number of ways (water and energy usage and general waste), it is committed to preventing environmental pollution (Noise, Smoke, Oil, Light etc) and it is these impacts that the company wishes to minimise. The company is committed to a programme of continual environmental improvement and will establish systems and initiatives to bring about the broad principles of this policy. Camlab also recognises that in a wider context the organisation wishes to become a low carbon and a sustainable business. To do this Camlab is committed to providing resources to engage with suppliers and become agents for change to reduce the carbon emissions impact of both its upstream and downstream commercial activities.
In particular Camlab will:
- Meet, and where possible exceed, the requirements of all relevant environmental legislation.
- Seek to reduce the consumption of materials in all operations, reuse rather than dispose wherever possible, and promote recycling and use of recycled materials.
- Work with suppliers and contractors to minimise the impact of their operations on the environment through a quality purchasing policy.
- Work with customers as required, to help meet their environmental objectives and provide information to assist measures to influence customer choice towards those products and services that help meet their stated targets.
- Design energy efficiency into new services and buildings, and manage energy wisely in all operations.
- Provide products that are safe to use, make efficient use of resources, and which can be recycled or disposed of safely.
- Include environmental issues at relevant management meetings, and train all employees to adopt and improve good environmental working practices.
- Provide necessary training to raise awareness of the environment, and encourage energy saving and waste minimisation.
- Monitor the company’s environmental performance through auditing on a regular basis and through the examination of data.
- Extend Camlab’s scope of influence to identified major external stakeholders to help estimate their carbon impact as part of our commitment toward reaching net zero and as part of our carbon offset
- To share best practice by making available to others our approach and methodology to assist them to reduce their own impact of greenhouse gases
- Include all associated carbon measures to reduce the impact of travel to work and to customers
- Set GHG targets aligned to a 1.5°C near-term target, so as to be eligible to set new net-zero GHG targets.
To ensure Camlab operates efficiently with respect to the environment and meets the requirements of ISO14001. These objectives are set and monitored through KPI’s within Policy Deployment.
Net-zero targets include:
- Near-term science-based targets are absolute scope 1 and 2 Green House Gas (GHG) emissions reduction targets that should be achieved by 2030, from a predefined base year.
- Long-term science-based targets which are absolute scope 1, 2 and 3 GHG emissions reduction targets that should be achieved by 2050, from a predefined base year.
At Camlab we understand the importance of personal contact. As well as providing you with an easy to use website our experienced and dedicated Customer Sales team is also available to help should you not find what you need online. No time-wasting call queues or being endlessly put through to another department. Experience the difference.